All Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) on Credit Unions
The Group meets several times a year and brings politicians from across the political spectrum together to discuss issues affecting the credit union movement. It seeks to raise awareness and build consensus and political support for the movement’s development. The Group currently has 157 members from across the political spectrum and in both Houses of Parliament.
Since the Group was established in 2008, APPG meetings have focused largely on changes to legislative reform. Government ministers, senior officials and credit union leaders discuss the opportunities and challenges presented with interested MPs and Peers.
The APPG's officers are:
- Chair - Bim Afolami
- Vice Chair - Lord Kennedy of Southwark (Labour)
- Treasurer - Chris Evans MP (Labour)
- Secretary - Yvonne Fovargue MP (Labour)
Click here to view the APPG on Credit Unions' entry in the All Party Group Register.
Under the rules of All-Party Parliamentary Groups, we are requried to publish minutes and membership lists on the Group's webpage. The minutes from the Group's AGMs and membership list are available to download from the bottom .
In the last Parliament the Group has held the following meetings:
- Reformatory AGM and election of officers – 13 March 2020
- Credit Union Foundation & Lloyds Development Fund Awards with John Glen MP, Economic Secretary to the Treasury, Guy Opperman MP, Minister for Pensions & Financial Inclusion, Russell Galley, Managing Director, Halifax Bank, Lord Kennedy of Southwark, Chair of the Credit Union Foundation - 4 June 2019
- International Credit Union Day reception with David Walker, Head of Public Sector Banking Citi, Pawel Grzesik of the National Association of Co-operative Savings and Credit Union in Poland, and the new Chair of the Group Bim Afolami MP - 17 October 2018
- AGM and Elelection of officers where Bim Afolami MP replaced Jeremy Quinn MP as the Chair of the Group – 9 October 2018
- AGM and Election of Officers - 17 October 2017
- International Credit Union Day reception with Mike Mercer, President and CEO of Georgia Credit Union Affiliates and the Minister for Pensions & Financial Inclusion, Guy Opperman MP - 17 October 2017
- Launch of the Save As You Borrow Report with Antony Elliot, Fairbanking Foundation, Karen Bennett, Enterprise Credit Union and Robert Kelly, NHS Credit Union - 22 February 2017
- Extraordinary General Meeting (EGM) to elect Seema Kennedy MP as Chair of the All-Party Parliamentary Group - 19 October 2016
In the previous Parliament the Group held the following meetings:
- AGM & Election of Officers - 24 June 2015
- Summer reception with Economic Secretary to the Treasury, Harriett Baldwin MP, and sponsored by Lloyds Banking Group - 24 June 2015
- House of Lords reception with Lord Hunt of Wirral in support of the Credit Union Foundation and sponsored by Scape Reinvest - 9 July 2015
- Discussion of the Prudential Regulation Authority review of credit union regulation with PRA Director for Banks, Building Societies and Credit Unions, Martin Stewart; Chief Execuitve of ABCUL, Mark Lyonette; and President of the Irish League of Credit Unions, Brian McCrory - 8 September 2015
- International Credit Union Day reception with Vice-President for Membership of the National Federation of Community Development Credit Unions (US), Pablo DeFilippi; Chief Executive of Enterprise Credit Union, Karen Bennett; Global Director of Citi Community Development & Citi Inclusive Finance, Bob Annibale - 14 October 2015
- Savings for low income families held jointly with the All Party Parliamentary Group on Debt and Personal Finance with Director of Financial Capability for the Money Advice Service, David Haigh and Chief Executive of StepChange debt chairty Mike O'Connor.
- Payroll Deduction of Department of Work & Pensions Staff with Minister of State for Welfare Reform, Lord Freud, and Director General of Human Resources of Department of Work and Pensions, Debbie Alder - 6 July 2016
For information about the APPG please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0161 819 6946
This is not an official website of the House of Commons or the House of Lords. It has not been approved by either House or its committees. All-Party Parliamentary Groups are informal groups of Members of both Houses with a common interest in particular issues. The views expressed in these webpages are those of the group.